I have recently discovered the wonder that is the cherimoya fruit. I have heard of it since I have been in Chile and even had cherimoya flavored ice cream, but until recently I had not tried it. Once I did, my life was changed. It is delicious!


You can learn more about it on the Wikipedia page, but know that from experience I can tell you it is as good as it sounds. The outside of the fruit is tough but the inside is sweet, creamy and smooth, kind of like coconut but much better tasting. Many people eat it straight out of the skin like a bowl. The seeds are pretty big, kinda almond like, and are easy to pick out. It is native to South American but is grown in other places around the world where it has been transplanted too. It must not be too common though because I had never heard of it until coming to Chile and I don't think it ships well so it is not exported very much.

It has recently come back into season and I have really been enjoying eating it. I cannot wait to share it with visitors when they come. Everyone enjoys a good, exotic fruit, right?