If you know me long enough a name you should know is Waltonia. Who knows what Waltonia is? I see about 3 hands being raised. Well, for a very small amount of info you can go to the website but you wont learn the deep meaning of that name unless you know me or my family. Waltonia is a place near Kerville, Tx along the Guadalupe River that my family has gone to every year since before I was even born. A place that I have gone to every summer of my life except one.

The pictures may not be beautiful and the accommodations are not luxurious for sure, but I love it. Every summer for a week (or however long each person can make it that year) my entire dad's side of the family meets up here coming from many cities in Texas and outside including the states of New York and Ohio. I remember as a kid trying to decide whether I thought Waltonia or Disney World was more fun. We stay in cabins, swim in the river and eat. I can even give you a run through of what every day is like if you want!

I wake up whenever I want. I eat breakfast and hang around lazily with the family. This time could also be spent reading or visiting other family cabins. Before lunch some or all of us drive into town to get groceries at Walmart for that night's dinner and whatever else we need. Sometimes this drive into town leads to more exciting visits that leads to exciting small town-hill country-Texas purchases. Then we come back to the cabin and prepare for an afternoon at the river.

The biggest question of the day is do we swim in the deep section or float down to the low-water crossing to build up the dam, look at dirty fish and go exploring on "the other side." We swim till we get hungry and then head back to the cabin to get ready for dinner. Breakfast and lunch each family unit is on their own, but dinner each night is eaten together with the entire Meredith clan, potluck style.

After dinner we play outside some, either playing a game of horseshoes, ping pong (on the most lopsided table ever), swingball or croquet. After it gets dark us late-nighters gather together for games! These games consist of some type of dominoes, poker, or pit (the loudest game ever). Then we head to our respective cabins for a nights rest and wake up to do it all over again the next day. Each year we try to make some kind of outing to see something in the hill country. Last year it was the Caverns of Sonora, other years have been Sea World, miniature Stonehenge and this year it might be Enchanted Rock! See pictures below to get the full effect.

Feeding of the goats on the property

Looking for dirty fish at the low-water crossing

The family unit at the deep river after a swim!


Beautiful river

Playing games at night. Check out my hat. That was a town purchase!

Traditional sign picture on the drive out.

Why am I writing this now? Well Saturday we all head down to Waltonia for the week and I have been thinking about it for a while now. I am so excited. I am ready for a week of relaxing, having fun with the family, eating and swimming. I love to swim! This place has such amazing memories and really has been a huge part of my life growing up. So don't forget the name Waltonia!