As a kid I was terrified of tornadoes. My parents just had to mention the possibility of a tornado and I got freaked out. Because of this I hated (and still do) The Wizard of Oz. Now that I am grown up I cannot believe that I lived in Oklahoma (the heart of Tornado Alley) for 8 years and never even saw one. Now I am sure if I saw one today I would pee in my pants in fear, but still, to see a tornado far far away not hurting anyone or anything would be pretty awesome.

It is that time of year again around here, tornado season. Mostly I like tornado season because it brings beautiful thunderstorms and much needed rain. I do not know the last time a tornado hit Abilene but I think it has been a while, but we have been under a few watches lately so they are kinda on my mind.

Ever since moving away from home, every place I have ever lived in, I have thought about where I would go if there were a tornado. Here they are:

1st Abilene apartment- bathroom
1st Abilene house- hallway
1st Colorado house- play closet
2nd Colorado house- basement bedroom
previous Abilene house- hallway, doors shut
current Abilene house- triangle, mattress over entrance

I know this is totally ridiculous but it was just ingrained in me living in Oklahoma. There we went to our bathroom and got under a mattress (which we did a few times). It was especially silly in CO because I think where I lived it was almost impossible for a tornado to occur, but I was prepared.

A couple of nights ago, as I went to bed I knew we were under a tornado watch. It did not seem too serious but I was aware. At about 3 or 4 in the morning I woke up to a deep rumbling that lasted quite a while. Now do not forget it was the middle of the night and I was not totally coherent, but the thought crossed my mind that it could be a tornado and what if no one woke up but me. So I got out of bed and went outside to check things out.

Of course everything was fine. It was just starting to sprinkle and the thunderstorm was far away so we were getting long, rumbling thunder with lightening far apart which is why I did not put 2 and 2 together. But believe me, I was prepared to wake up the roomies and head for the triangle. You may think I am silly, but I was not the only roommate to wonder about the sound...just the only one to get out of bed and go outside.

Tonight, while under another tornado watch that is not serious, we were discussing the common description of a tornado sound. I have always been told it sounds like a train, but we heard a train and were wondering if that means the rumbling of the train as it goes by or the horn. Haha, probably the rumbling huh?

I like reminiscing on my tornado days in Oklahoma. Hearing the sirens go off every Saturday at noon for a test became normal. I was always jealous of my friends who had basements. There was no scarier feeling than being in that bathtub with the mattress over us, listening to the radio.

One close call came once when we were driving somewhere out in the country and we were pretty sure we were under a wall cloud. Wall clouds form before tornadoes do. My parents were casually talking about it and saying what we would do if a tornado formed (pull over, lay in the ditch and cover our heads) and I just started crying I was so freaked out. Luckily nothing happened.

Anyway, I guess if I really thought about it, I hope I never see a tornado, but if I do I am sure that I will find some beauty in its amazing power and strength...just hopefully from a distance.