Life in the big city of DC is great. Now I don't actually live in the District (as people here say) but I live in Northern Virginia, Fairfax county. It is so interesting to see how people label different areas, by county, by city, by neighborhood, by shopping center. The layout of the city is a mess but people make it work and so am I.

It is funny how just two weeks ago I would have found it annoying to drive 30 min. to visit a friend because many people and activities were so close I could walk to them. In just a short time, I have reverted back to city driving where 30 min. is actually really good time.

The other night I drove to an area of town to meet two friends for dinner. I was so proud that I made it there with the help of my trusty side-kick Garmin while only cutting two people off to get into my correct lane! I also found free parking and that just made my night. I was quite nervous that I might have to park at a meter and I was not ready for that big of a step.

A GPS is a necessity. I know they have just recently become popular in cars (at least to my knowledge) but I am not sure I could have managed without one. I am getting used to hearing the phrase "re-calculating" as a pass on by my turn or get into the wrong lane (which is easy to do, one intersection is called 7 Corners for a reason). There are also these strange side roads that are like access roads to the freeway but they are along normal roads. I am still not sure how to manage those babies.

The church I am working with here is treating me wonderfully. I have already met so many great people and if I could just remember all their names I would be set. There are people of all ages and they have been so welcoming. Many of them already know who I am when I introduce myself and offer words of encouragement or excitement for me to be here. I am looking forward to getting to know as many of them as possible during my months here.

Everyone is also insistent that I must take in some of the sites while I am here. Luckily I have semi-recently visited many of the major tourist sites so that means I am getting to visit some of the less major ones and experience some of the real DC culture and not just the tourist culture. I love that! It is amazing how different cities in the same country can be from each other. I just love these new experiences. It reminds me of when I first moved to Denver and I used to yell out "I can't believe I live here!!!!!!!!!" every time I got to see or do something cool. That is how I feel now.

As wonderful as living here has been this first week I cannot deny that I am also missing my friends and family in Texas so if any of you need to beat the heat or take a vacay then head on up here. You will love it!!!!