So I have this tendency when I don't blog for a while to try and write everything that has happened since I last blogged. You would be reading for days if I did that so I am going to try to sum it up in bullet points and pictures. You should know though that I am doing good and enjoying the excitement and challenge of living in Chile.

  • We finished language immersion classes at Berlitz. We studied for 4 weeks, 5 days a week, 9am-6pm. It was a very challenging schedule and I felt as tired and frustrated as I have ever felt in my life during that month. I am thankful we did it and how much I progressed during it but I am also very thankful that phase of language learning is over.
My last day of Berlitz I rewarded myself with donuts that I passed by everyday and resisted.
  • We are taking a week "off" from language learning to get settled into our new homes and find tutors to start studying again next week.
Sara and I with one of our professors, Grace.

Group shot! Last day!
  • I moved!! I am now living on my own for the first time. I have spent two nights in my apartment and it is going really well. I feel almost settled and I feel comfortable and safe. I have taken the time to get to know the desk workers in my apartment building and they have already been a great help to me.
Moving day! It was sad to say bye to Isabel but exciting to gain some freedom.
  • My place is one block from the Overalls and two blocks from the Lukkasons. We are living in the heart of Santiago, only blocks from some of the main plazas and markets in the entire city.
  • I have gone shopping for grocery and housing items more times than I can remember in the past two days. It is a lot of work setting up a home. The place is "furnished" but it is still lacking a lot. We are all torn by not wanting to set up too much here and have to transport it all to Concepcion and wanting to feel comfortable for the next three months.
  • I have really enjoyed my two trips to the central fruit/veggie market that is always open. Today I bought a head of lettuce (no bagged lettuce here), a green pepper, a head of garlic and a bunch of carrots for $1200 pesos which is about US$2.50. Not bad huh? The people who work there are very helpful and patient with me since some of the produce varieties are new to me. I like taking their recommendations.
  • I am slowly learning my way around the area and enjoying the adventure that every day brings. I am so thankful we took the week off from school to get settled because nothing happens fast or easily around here. I am pretty sure the words efficient and convenient do not translate well into Spanish. It takes getting used to but life sure is interesting!
Welcome to my home. Let me give you a tour. I also can offer you a cup of tea since the sweet sweet missionaries here gave us all housewarming gifts.

This is my bedroom and the comforter I bought for fear of using bedding in a furnished apartment used by who knows how many people.

Other side of my bedroom. It's ok to be jealous of my TV. I know you are.

My closet is actually somethign to be jealous of. Walk-ins are not common here. Funny story how I got locked out of my closet, could not get in, the landlady did not have a key and did not know what to do so I had the desk worker call a locksmith for me. Hilarious.

My living room. Please have a seat on my awesome green couch.

My kitchen and bar. I'll post soon about the first real meal I prepared today. I was so proud.

Would you like to have a seat on my porch? Be careful, you may not be able to get up.

Well thanks for stopping by Casa Deanna. It has been great to have you. I hope you will come again. Now that my schedule is a little more normal, maybe I can blog more often about specifics that happen.

Chau!