Most weekends since being here in Chile we have all been to exhausted to do much and too tired of public transportation to want to go anywhere so we usually end up staying home and relaxing around the house. I love doing this but this weekend we decided we needed a little adventure in our lives and some time together to have fun and enjoy the city we are living in. So off we went, to Cerro San Cristobal.

Climbing up to the Virgin!

This is a huge hill in the middle of the city with a huge white statue of the Virgin Mary on top. It is a popular tourist site and also a place Chileans seem to enjoy going to together. From the top there are amazing views of the city. This city is so huge. You also have the choice between spending some time in meditation and prayer or having a cold snack of ice cream. This hill is an interesting mix of religion and tourism.

Great views of the city from the top

Steps up to the Virgin Mary

There are multiple ways to get to the top. You can take the funicular (like a train), take a taxi, drive, bike, run, or walk. We decided to walk and it was quite the hike. Thankfully it was a cool day yesterday because we got a work out from this hike. It was not too long but it was super steep and, I have to admit, we had to stop a few times to catch our breath.

Another view from the top

I decided to partake in a different cold snack/drink called Mote con Huesillo. It is a very Chilean drink that they seem to love here. I had a sip of it my first week but decided I needed to dive into the culture and get a whole one on my own. Ok, I just looked it up and huesillo means dried peach and mote is the Quecha word for grains cooked in water. I think that the huesillo is a peach that has been dried and then re-hydrated in the tea-like substance and then at the bottom are grains of wheat. Obviously I am not 100% sure but it is something like that.

Bottoms up!

So, I tired my own cup of this drink/snack and it is pretty good. It is really sweet and the only thing I can compare it to is peach flavored sweet tea. I know it seems strange to have things floating in your tea but trust me, it is not as bad as it looks. It was actually quite refreshing and a good little snack too. The Mote con Huesillo stands are all over the place (mainly in the summer I am guessing) so I was excited to join in the tradition of the drink.

I know it looks gross but it isn't

After the climb we headed to a nice area to eat dinner. We were searching a place to eat and out of the 7 million people that live in this city, we ran into someone we knew! It was our professor Virginia and we were all so surprised and excited to see her. She was with her mom and sister and we got to meet them. What was hilarious was that I was wearing my "Virginia is for Lovers" t-shirt (state slogan by the way) and her name is Virginia!!!! She thought it was so funny and so did I so we just had to take a picture.

We love Virginia

It was a wonderful Saturday adventure with lots of fun and laughter. I am looking forward to class tomorrow when they asked me what I did over the weekend and I can say something other than "I rested."