Well I am way behind on blogging and I don't really like going back but I did want to share about my first birthday in Chile. In April I turned 27! Can you believe that? I think I am officially into my late 20s and that is scary.

I was a little nervous about my birthday just being in a new culture and thinking that I would feel sad and homesick, but all of the people I love made sure I had a wonderful, sweet, special day and for that I am thankful. Here are all the great things that happened.

I received the bday package from my parents ON my actual birthday. It could not have been more perfect. It was delivered during my Spanish tutoring and I opened it after class. They gave me some nice gifts and some wonderful Easter treats. They also made a cute video of people from home saying happy birthday. It was so fun to watch.

Another sweet friend thought of me all the way in Abilene and had my teammates buy me flowers from her and give them to me. You are so thoughtful Laura. That surprise was wonderful.


I got more Facebook messages than I ever have before, I got to talk to my parents, my brother and s-law, the BFF and a few other loved ones. My teammates did a wonderful job throwing me a party. We had a yummy meal of sandwiches that I love, every chip and dip combo you can think of and the classic Deanna birthday cookie cake. We played games and continued our new birthday tradition of sharing what we love and appreciate about the birthday girl/boy.


I had the wonderful opportunity of getting to hear my church family at Falls Church sing Happy Birthday to me which was so special. They broadcast their service online on Wednesday nights and they always sing happy birthday to people. I got tipped off so I signed on and got to see all my wonderful people there singing to me. I loved it.

I also received some post-bday gifts from my sweet friend Kaylynn who sent me a very thoughtful package of things I greatly miss from the US. And recently I was given this beautiful scarf that has already done a good job of keeping me warm in this cool Chilean fall weather.


Thanks to everyone who made my birthday so sweet and wonderful. I felt special and did not feel too homesick. It was a great way to start my 27th year of life!