I had to think long and hard about what I did last 4th of July. When I first started writing this blog it was titled I Can't Remember because I could not remember what I did. I tend to enjoy reflecting on past holidays on the days of new ones but it is hard to reflect on what you can't remember. I even went back and looked at pictures and my google calendar and still nothing.

What I did notice was that our team garage sale occurred that weekend so I decided that was why I could not remember because that was a crazy, crazy weekend. If you remember, we were trying to sell our things so we could move to Chile and it decided to rain. Not really having a big garage we decided to have the sale right inside of the Shutt's house and it turned out to be a huge success. It was exhausting, but a success. So that is probably why my day after the 2 day garage sale memory is not great but I do remember a little.

I hung out with my wonderful friends from Hope (my church in Abilene). This is what I remember. It was raining. We met at Swinny's house. We had decided to go watch the fireworks in a little town outside of Abilene where they were supposed to be good. So we drove out there and parked on the side of the road like everyone else. It continued to rain off and on but we waited. We wanted to see the fireworks. Lots and lots of cars started driving the other way like they were leaving and eventually we gave in too, assuming the show was not happening. We headed to Whataburger to get something to eat....and then the fireworks started. We were too far away to go back so I watched a little bit of the show from the Whataburger parking lot.

That is what I remember. Fireworks in the Whataburger parking lot. Hey, not every 4th can be the best ever, right? I am absolutely sure I had a good time though. We always had fun together.

So this year there won't be any fireworks either. It isn't really even a holiday but we are making it one. Our team wanted to celebrate together and we decided to invite our Chilean friends to join us. It won't be exactly like the 4th back in the US (although I know many of you in Texas aren't getting fireworks either), but we are doing our best and it will be fun and a nice way to share a little of our culture with those who have been sharing their culture with us. The major thing missing is homemade ice cream. What I wouldn't give for some homemade ice cream! Mmmm!

Happy 4th All!!