I volunteered at the local food bank today. Since I have some extra time on my hands I really wanted to find a way to serve in the community. I find great joy in helping others, especially with basic needs such as food and clothing. Because of this I got connected with the food bank and got to go for the first time today.

The food bank is a huge warehouse that distributes food to places around town that give out food to those in need. What I got to help with was sorting. Have you ever wondered what happens when you open a box of ziplock bags in the store and then decide not to buy them or drop a can of corn? Well I think all of that comes to the food bank. There were boxes and boxes and boxes of food and necessary items (shampoo, trash bags, diapers) to be sorted through and places in boxes of similar items. We threw away gross or opened things and taped up opened things.

The work was fine and I was glad to help but I really enjoyed the people I worked along side. To be sensitive, lets just say I live in the ACU bubble and have not stepped outside that bubble a lot. I like being outside of the bubble and meeting people who may not be the people I would normally spend time with. I was somewhat uncomfortable at first but they were all very welcoming and chatty and I enjoyed talking to them and hearing about their kids, their diets, and their jobs. I hope some of the same people are there every time I go so I can get to know them. People are so interesting!!!

I am so thankful for this opportunity to serve and I am looking forward to the other ways I am going to get to do this in the next few months.