Since being in Chile I have gone to the movies three times. I love going to the movies and not many things makes me feel more normal than sitting in the dark with a bunch of strangers, eating popcorn and enjoying a good flick. I most recently saw X-Men and thought it was really good. It was very interesting and exciting and just a good story. I really like prequels.

Anywhere I go in Chile I cannot help but observe and attempt to understand the cultural occurrences around me. I pay attention to the way people enter and exit the mall, how they stand in line, how they interact with strangers, and where they sit in the movie theater. Two out of the three times I have gone to the movies there were tons of seats available, in front of me, behind me, all around me, and yet they chose to sit right next to me or right in front of me.

In the US everyone wants to get a good seat, but not at the expense of sitting to close to someone you dont know. If someone has a good spot in a row you like you either sit a few seats down the row or a few rows in front of them. Of course if the theater is full you will sit wherever you can find a spot. Not here. I am not sure their reasoning, but they just sit right next to you even if there are tons of other good spots to choose from. I am pretty sure it never crosses their minds that it would be odd to sit directly next to a stranger when not necessary.

I am not saying this is a bad thing....just...interesting. And it does not just happen to me. It has happened to my teammates and Chileans do it to other Chileans. The same X-Men night, there were tons of seats and people not only sat right next to me, but they did the same thing to each other. To them, it just is the way it is and I find that fascinating. Every outing is a learning experience here.