So maybe I am just stupid but medical insurance is confusing the crap out of me! I had to call my dad last night and have him walk me through it all so I could even half way understand. I keep getting these bills in the mail and they have a million different columns with a million different numbers in them that do not add up to me. Then there is my insurance website that is constantly sending me emails about my claims coming through and that just means more crazy numbers and more crazy columns. Woah! Normally my naive, trusting self would not even look at the website and just pay my bills as they come, but I was warned that medical bills are sneaky and usually incorrect and I might end up paying more than I need to. So I dove into all the curses of dealing with an expensive injury and it kinda feels like drowning.

On the other hand I praise God that I even have medical insurance, because otherwise I might be living in a cardboard box on the street right now. Did you know that my surgery alone (anesthesiology not included) cost $19,000!!!!!!!!! Holy cow its just a few little cuts in my knee! I could not believe it. But, because I do have medical insurance I am not paying even a fourth of that amount. Its a pretty amazing deal, even if it is confusing. I remember when I got off of my parents insurance, I thought about not getting any because I never get hurt. I am SO glad that I did! As much as I wish they could make it easier to know what it all means, I feel blessed that I have insurance, columns and numbers and all.

A lesson to anyone reading this is that you need medical insurance. You do not need a super low deductible (look at me using insurance terminology) but just get anything so that if you have something serious happen you do not have to live on the street as you recover from surgery. Because trust me, I never thought something like this would happen to me, but I have learned so much because of it. Maybe someday I will even understand what is actually going on with these insurance people...but probably not.