Saturday night my roommate Lauren and I prepared dinner for our team and they came over for the evening. For dinner we had this awesome taco ranch soup and then for dessert we had something special. Sopapillas!!!

I got this brilliant idea while laying in bed that morning trying to decide what to make for dinner. I decided on the soup but wanted something fun for dessert. I had never made them before which is all the more reason to try. I love cooking experiments! So I got a recipe off someone elses blog, got the ingredients and Lauren and I went to work.

In the end we were successful but it took a few tries to get it right. The way sopapillas are made are by cooking them in hot hot oil which can be a little bubbly and unsafe. We had no idea how hot oil needed to get and had no thermometer so I said we should just wait until it boils. So we waited, and waited, and waited and nothing happened. We were tired of waiting so we stuck some dough in and within a second or two the entire side was black and burned and smoking. Oops! Guess it was too hot.

So being very careful we disposed of the trial one sopapillas, poured out the scalding hot oil, and started over. This time we did not wait so long and just tried it and it worked! It was so fun to watch and figure out the science of these little treats. You just lay the dough in the hot oil and the poof up really fast! The hotter the oil the poofier the dough. We made a bunch and they were a huge hit. Another success for kitchen experiments! See some pictures below!