As a soon-to-be missionary, I get asked a lot of questions. To be more specific, I get asked a lot of the same questions over and over again. I really do not mind being asked these things because I am usually just so thankful that people care enough to engage me in conversation about what I am so passionate about. I also understand that my plans and what my teammates are going to do is a little confusing so it is good to clear some things up. Here are some of my regular questions as of late.

When do you leave?
I leave Washington DC right before Thanksgiving to spend the holidays with my family, the month of December in Texas getting ready to go and spending time with my home church and then I hop on a plane in mid January 2011.

Do you speak Spanish?
Eh, kinda. I have studied Spanish off and on for years but I have never become fluent. I can get around but I have so much to learn. My teammates and I will start language school as soon as we get to Chile and study for at least 6 months.

Where are you going to live?
Not sure yet. (Ha! I love telling people that) I will first live in Santiago for language school and the missionaries there are helping us figure out where to live, either in furnished housing or with a family. From there, I will travel to Conce (short for Concepcion) to find a place to live there. No, our whole team will not live in the same house but hopefully we will live close to each other.

What is the weather like in Chile?
Well, you need to be more specific. Chile is a really long country and has varied weather but in Conce it is quite mild. It does not get out of the 80s in the summer and does not get below freezing in the winter. I does rain a lot.

Are you going alone?
Nope, I have six wonderful teammates. Check out their blogs!

What are you doing now?
I have been living in the DC area for the past three months getting to know my supporting church family here. It has been wonderful.

How long are you going for?
At least five years.

Chile...isn't that where there was like a big earthquake or something?
Yes, in February there was a large earthquake but where are there not natural disasters? This is just a new one for me to learn how to live with. I survived the tornadoes of Oklahoma, the blizzards of Colorado and the hurricanes of Texas. Maybe I will be the next Bear Grylls. :)

Any other questions?