I am in my 14th week of surgery recovery. To the unknowing eye I look fully recovered but I can feel it is not right with every step I take and every stiff movement I make. It is amazing how such a stupid little thing inside my knee can mess me up for so long. It still pops, does not straighten or bend all the way, gets stuck sometimes when I leave it in one position for too long, and the hamstring is weak.

Despite all of these negative things, guess what! I GOT THE OK TO RUN AGAIN! I have no idea when the last time I ran was but I know it was sometime before December 16th (when I actually tore my ACL) and that is a long time. I have loved running since before Jr. High and although I have been sporadically devoted, I love it. I love the runners high and running a half marathon was one of the coolest, funnest, most rewarding things I have ever done physically.

Last night I was at therapy (working by myself) and I stopped to talk with the head therapist. We got to talking and she decided to check me out so she could give my doctor an update since I am seeing him this weekend. She measured my strength and mobility and then we just talked for a bit about my poor little weak hamstring. I asked her what she thought about me running and after checking with the therapy calendar she said I was good to go. Woo Hoo!

So this morning at my stinkin' early therapy session I did some new, hard exercises and then hopped on the treadmill for my first go. I was a little nervous but quite excited too. I have been running on a tramp but this was the real thing. So I started going and took it slow but it did not feel as weird as I thought it would. It felt great and I went for 5 min. The therapist and I talked and she said I can run outside but I need to keep it on flat, smooth, straight ground so no trail or hill running which is fine. I am just excited to get out there.

All of this might seem insignificant but this whole experience has been a total roller coaster for me. Some days I feel like I am doing awesome and other days I feel like I will never get better. I still look at my skis and have to hold back my tears but being able to run is such an encouragement to me. I am on schedule and doing good. Maybe one day I actually will be back to normal. GO ME!!!