For the second time recently I have had the joy of making a Hero Loaf and both times it has been amazing and delicious. It makes a lot so I have plenty of leftovers for lunch each day and I have been loving it. I am not sure why it is called a Hero Loaf but that is the name I was given and I am sticking with it.

A friend of mine in school, his wife makes it and I think it is a family recipe. I had it a few times and I knew I had to learn how to make it. It took a while to get the recipe out of them but it was worth the wait.

Here it is about to be braided and wrapped up

The first time I made it I followed the recipe exactly so I could learn how it worked. This time I got a little more creative and tried to make it a little healthier. There are many layers and they are just baked right in between the bread. Mmmmm!

All ready to go in the oven

I made it with part whole wheat flour and inside is some ham, pepperonis, provolone cheese, and olives. Then I added myself some purple onions, tomatoes and spinach. Perfecto! I cannot describe how yummy it is.

Check out all those awesome layers

I loved making it and will probably make it a regular occurrence. I typically do not buy meat especially if I have to cook it raw, but I will make an exception for this baby!

On another completely different note, we leave for Chile in ONE WEEK!!! I am totally pumped and nervous and so ready to go. Here are the crazy things I have done to be over prepared:
  • Bothered the travel agent over and over to make sure we could make our flights
  • Tried to see how many layers of clothing I could fit under my rain jacket
  • Practiced fitting as many of my liquids as possible in a 1 quart bag- I may have to go to the farmacia in Chile
  • Am testing to see how long my 3 oz. bottle of gel will last me
  • Daily thinking about what clothes I will take to deal with the weather
  • Working hard to get all my homework done- that is not too crazy but it is driving me crazy!
  • Having a running to-do list of things to get done and buy before taking off
I guess that is all for now. Next week I get to start packing!!!!