Capoeira (according to Wikipedia) is an an Afro-Brazilia art form that combines elements of martial arts, music, and dance. It was created in Brazil by slaves brought from Africa.

What does Capoeira have to do with me you might wonder? I went to my first Capoeira class on Sunday and it was...interesting. I can say with certainty that God did not bless me with much coordination or dancing skills but that does not mean that I do not like to try anyways.

A guy on campus teaches for free and I with with my friend Carol and her sister. Both of them have danced their whole lives and Carol actually spent a year doing mission work in Brazil and took Capoeira classes there. Needless to say I was out of my league. I was the worst of the 4 of us but I sure did have a good time.

Here is a little video to show you what learning Capoeira might look like. And here is a little video of what awesome Capoeira people look like. I looked worse than all of these people but I sure gave it my best shot.

I was swinging my legs and ducking and bouncing with everyone else...just with a little less coordination. I would say it was a successful lesson for me because I did not kick anyone and no one kicked me. Yea!

We ended the lesson working on our cartwheel skills. I have not done a cartwheel in who knows how long and those skills are lacking just about as much as my dancing skills. Who knew it could be so hard! I blamed it on being tall but the teacher would not take that as an excuse. So if you see me in my front yard doing cartwheels you will know why.

All in all it was a fun time. I got a good work out, laughed at myself and leanrned something new. I hope to go back next week. Who knows, maybe I will surprise everyone with my new talent!