I like to think I am handy. I know how to see if my car has enough oil and how to put more air in my tires. But that's about it. I know how to change a light bulb, and poor drain-o in the drain when it gets stopped up. But that's about it, and yet I still try. Two examples:

The day before leaving for spring break the drain in our kitchen clogged up and I thought I would try and work on it. I tried drain-o and a plunger but that only provided temporary relief. So I sat down in front of the sink and tried my best.

I took off the little "u" shaped pipe. There was nothing in it. So I went a little further and took off the two connecting pipes and they were empty also. About this time one of my roommates friends walked in the house, thankfully. As I sat there looking at the pipes and thinking about cleaning them out anyways water started GUSHING out of the open pipe all underneath the sink. I started to scream and the girl came in to help. She got some bowls to catch the water and after figuring out that dumping the bowls into the sink was not helpful, we caught some of the water coming out. Whew! Stupid Deanna did NOT realize dish washer pipes run through sink pipes. Oops!

So I got the mess cleaned up and left the kitchen, only to come back to more water on the floor! The dishwasher was not draining either and was pouring out all over the floor also. So I stopped the washer and had bail the water out with a bowl until it stopped overflowing. It was not a good day for the kitchen. Thankfully while we were all gone for spring break someone came and fixed all of it for us. Yea!

The second example happened last night. It was not as traumatic, but still not helpful. My roommate said we had no hot water and she noticed our unusually loud hot water heater was not making any noises. We read through the instructions, I laid down on the floor and was prepared to burn my face off for the sake of hot water. One roomie pushed the button down and I tried to light the pilot light but nothing happened. I really couldn't tell where the pilot light actually was so I just put the flame around underneath there, but still nothing happened. We were in a pickle!

We thought maybe the gas was out so we turned on the heater, and yep, it did not work either. Neither was the little heater fan in our bathroom which I had noticed but as I told the roomie "I just figured things broke around here!" So hopefully the gas company got called today and hopefully it is a problem on their end because I don't know what else to do. So, take notice you couple of readers, if you have house problems feel free to call and I will do my best, but don't expect me to actually fix anything.