I am not a very patriotic person. Yes I know that in some ways I am blessed to be from the US but in no way do I believe that God "Blesses America" any more or less than other countries. We have a good qualities but man there are some super cool countries out there and God blesses them also (if he blesses countries as a whole anyways. I really dont know).

This really is not my point. I say all this because despite my lack of patriotism I really do love the 4th of July holiday celebrated here every year. Not because I am "Proud to be an American" but because it brings so many fun things along with it. These things include family, fireworks, watermelon, BBQ, pool parties, hot weather and the best of all, ICE CREAM!!! It really is just a super fun, relaxed holiday.

This year was a normal 4th of July for me, meaning that it was not normal and only included one of those things listed above . For the past many years of my life I have not had a normal 4th due to Trek, family problems, being in a foreign country, or just away from my family. But I still really enjoy it no matter what I am doing or where I am.

This year I worked at Starbucks from 1pm to 9pm and the flow of customers was very irregular. We would have a crowd and then nothing and then a crowd and then nothing. For about two hours it was dead and then about two hours before the fireworks in Golden started we got slammed! The line was out the door!!!! Who goes into Starbucks when the line is out the door? Crazy! So I worked drinks for a while until the cup line went all the way across the cabinet and then I switched to the register since I am still pretty slow and unsure. I really was not stressed and many people commented on how they were impressed that I was still smiling. I told them it takes a lot to make me smile and I actually found it all quite funny. Sadly for my other two co-workers I left a 9pm and the crowd was still huge. Usually I might have stayed around but I wanted to make the fireworks show also. So I hopped on my bike and met my friends where we walked to the park and enjoyed the show. It was short but good. I am amazed at no matter how many times I see fireworks I still love them and still "ooo and ahh" over them and get excited for the pretty ones. It was another "normal" 4th and I had a blast!

To my disapointment I did not get to enjoy any homemade ice cream but I remedied that this afternoon. Usually on Thursdays I have a girls bible study for the teens at church but I had not done the study and I had no idea who would be in town so I canceled the study and just wanted to do something fun. After consulting a few sources I got a recipe for homemade ice cream without an ice cream maker. It was something I had done in high school chemistry a while ago and remembered it being super good. So I got the ingredients and met the girls at the church. And despite the curdled milk looking appearance, it was delicious! The the moment I am sitting on the couch and my tummy is very full and satisfied. We had a lot of fun making it too by making a huge mess and numbing our hands but it is pretty simple. You should try it!

So happy 4th to everyone, whatever that means. I just hope you had a fun day that included all of your favorite things about the holidays!!!